Community Group Discussion Questions
Text: Psalm 119 (various verses)
Sermon Title: Delighting in the Bible
Date: September 16, 2018
- Tell us about a time when you were most passionate about God’s Word. What was this experience like? How did it impact your life?
- Currently, where are you at in the discipline of getting into the Bible?
- Read Proverbs 2:1-12. What three conditions or “if statements”are placed upon the reader? What are the likely outcomes given for the one who meets these conditions?
- Read Psalm 63. What connection(s) do you see between desiring God and delighting in God? Why is this connection important?
- Read Psalm 119:169-176. What specifically is the psalmist requesting from the Lord in verses 169-170? What instrument or means does he trust the Lord will use to grant his requests? What does He commit to do in response to God’s answer?
- In what ways are you currently engaging with God’s Word (reading, meditating, listening audibly, memorizing, speaking it out loud, praying, writing, meditating, thinking)? How are these disciplines cultivating your desire for and delight in God? In addition, what other discipline(s) could you use to foster delight, desire, and dependence on Him?
- If you delighted in God (vv. 14, 16, 24, 72, 92-93, 97, 162) and desired God (vv. 10, 20, 131, 169) more like the psalmist, what would look different in your daily calendar? Explain.
- If your prayers reflected the dependence of this psalmist on God (vv. 18, 27, 34-36), what would change? How do you think the Lord would answer these prayers? Why?
- What hope and/or encouragement do you find in vs. 176? Explain.
- How do you plan to use the “Transformed Journal”on Psalm 119? What are your hopes for using this tool? How can we help encourage you in this endeavor?